Sanilac County Man Dies in Deer Blind Fire

A 75-year-old hunter in Sanilac County was found dead after his deer blind caught fire Wednesday morning.

The Sanilac County News reports sheriff’s deputies and firefighters responded to the 4600 block of Freiburger Road in Argyle Township around 10:35. Authorities say the 75-year-old man’s grandson heard what sounded like gunshots, then noticed smoke coming from the area and arrived to find the blind on fire and his grandfather severely burned and deceased outside.

Investigators say a portable propane heater may have started the fire, which remains under investigation.